We believe that storytelling can help us develop a deeper connection with members of our community who come from different backgrounds and life experiences. In November 2017, English In Action debuted a live storytelling event called Immigrant Voices at The Temporary in Willits. Six immigrant community members—four of whom were our students— were coached by Alya Howe of Writ Large in the art of storytelling in front of a live audience. All our storytellers summoned immense courage to stand before a crowd and share their personal tales in their non-native language. Following the success of our 2017 event, we produced new editions of Immigrant Voices in 2018 and 2019. Due to the global pandemic and restrictions on public gatherings, this year Immigrant Voices streamed live to an online audience of over 300 people. Click play on the video below to watch!
Interested in supporting Immigrant Voices? Please click on the DONATE button below to make your online donation. You can also call us at 970.963.9200 to donate by telephone or mail a check to English In Action, PO Box 4856, Basalt, CO 81621.
We are grateful for the contributions of all our storytellers, past, present, and future. Please take a moment to watch and listen to their stories by viewing the links below.
- Beatriz Soto, Mexico (13:24 min)
- Patrick Bizimana, Rwanda (9:51 min)
- Ana Quiceno, Colombia (11:05 min)
- Miguel Carballo, El Salvador (11:58 min)
- Susana Salamun, Mexico (13.22 min)
- Full video, May 2019 featuring Samuel Bernal, Krishna Thapa, Hazzell Chevez, Amanda MacCamant, & Nicholas Vesey (58:38 min)
- Jose Miranda, Venezuela (8:35 min)
- Rosa Contreras, Guatemala (6:55 min)
- Eeswar Atluri, India (8:21 min)
- Diana Cardenas, Colombia (11:51 min)
- Ignacio Pimentel, Mexico (14:34 min)
- Iliana Rentería, Mexico (9:28 min)
2017 Stories and Interviews
Our 2017 storyteller’s performances have been edited together with interviews on their stories. Enjoy these in conjunction with the discussion guide or on their own.
- Bernardina Bañuelos, Mexico (17:31 min) (promo only-1:39 min)
- Samuel Bernal, Mexico (16:07 min) (promo only-1:26 min)
- Miguel Carballo, El Salvador (17:55 min) (promo only-1:49 min)
- Shinta Damayanti, Indonesia (15:46 min) (promo only-1:32 min)
- Estela Garcia, Mexico (14:38 min) (promo only-1:49 min)
- Kristina Mace, Hungary (19:28 min) (promo only-1:29 min)
With the support of Aspen Community Foundation, we have created a discussion guide to be used by businesses, schools, churches, and community groups interested in deepening their awareness of cultural differences and the experiences of immigrants.
Please let us know you used the guide and give us feedback here.
MANY THANKS TO OUR PARTNERS AND SUPPORTERS WHO MADE THIS PROJECT POSSIBLE!
Our 2020 storytellers with Writ Large’s Alya Howe. Photo courtesy of Klaus Kocher.